Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Running from Discipline


No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. 
Later on, however, it produces a harvest of
righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
Hebrews 12:11


Speed in running isn 't everything.  The course selected is also important.  A fast runner racing up and down hills can not keep pace with a slower runner on level ground. It takes discipline to stay the course. What about running in my personal life?  Why do I find myself running from the very things that bring discipline and order to my life.  Why is it so hard for me to realize that taking the hills is no bigger an accomplishment than just staying on level ground?  Instead, I choose to press up the hills of my own works knowing that Jesus is the level way, the pleasant way. 

Rick Warren's article on How to Develop Self-Discipline gave me some great insight about my weaknesses.  In my daily cares and needs, the greatest truth I need to remember is to run to God.  My wisest course is to at once go to Him instead of this friend or that family member.  He knows my weaknesses, my wants, my desires and He can relieve them. 

By God's grace I will outrun the strongest runner who chooses any other path.




No comments:

Post a Comment